Monday, February 05, 2007

Wild Urbs


I took the dogs to the west Delta Park dog park. The area between PIR and the wetlands. It was cold and damp. Just the right conditions for the half dozen dogs sloshing around by the parking lot. After Cooper and India tired of playing with the other dogs we wandered west to the far end of the park where there were no other dogs.

I saw an amazing Great Blue Heron along the way. It was only about 20 feet from the fence line just tip toeing through the reeds and grasses looking for dinner.

When we got to the end of the dog park I was startled by a dog barking at me on the other side of the fence. It too was pretty close, about 100 feet away. It was an odd sounding dog, it's bark was more of a combination bark/howl/yodel. It looked a little peculiar too. In fact it was not a dog at all. It was a coyote. And it was not too happy to have me and the dogs nearby. So we just continued on our way. When we got back to the parking lot the coyote was still howling it's displeasure at me. I mentioned my sighting to the other dog people. They thought it was pretty cool.

1 comment:

Bonnie Gregg said...

First owls.....then a blue heron....now a coyote....

What could be next?!!